Aaron Brethorst

Round peg in a square hole, rabid generalist.

More on iRooster 3.0

| Comments

I seem to have settled into a routine of working on iRooster for about 90 minutes every day. Unfortunately, I don’t have more time than that with my day job taking 11 or 12 hours every day (plus a few more hours on the weekend). Even still, I’m making great progress.

I intentionally broke the way that Snooze works three nights ago, and I finally repaired it last night around 1am. This was such a relief. The day before, I just turned off my alarm and almost missed a 9am meeting at work :)

Everything’s coming together smoothly, and I really only need to focus on polishing iRooster. For example, I need to add a timer to one feature so that it can automatically update itself every 15 minutes; another feature needs to check whether a network connection is available and just chill for a little while if it’s not; a third feature needs more polish on its custom drawing.

Of course, there’s a saying in software development: the first 90% of your product takes 90% of the time. The last 10% takes the other 90% of the time. I have some hope that I can curtail this to a certain extent. iRooster 3.0 is already looking great, and will really redefine what you might think an alarm clock can and should do for you, without getting bloated.

I’ll publish a post-mortem on the release once I’ve finished so you can learn something about what went right, and what went wrong (there are a few things that I find quite interesting, here).

Comments